Friday, January 6, 2012

So In Style Dolls Rang up $11.99 at Target!

I went to Target yesterday looking to see if they had the Barbie Basic 3.0 dolls stocked.  This Target was in the process of restocking the toy section and had put lots of new fashion doll items on the shelf.   I noticed the four So In Style dolls sitting all alone at the end of the aisle.  There happened to be a worker there with a price gun on her cart.  I had her scan the dolls, expecting to hear $24.39.  But she said $11.99.  WHAT?  I picked up the Marisa doll and had her scan that one, too.  $11.99!  I was tempted to buy all four, but then remembered the Grace and Marisa doll were the only two on the list.  (I have  been pretty good at sticking to my list). 

So the question is, has Target received enough calls and direct Twitter messages to start changing the price, or is this a fluke?  I really don't know the answer to that.  I started my Twitter assault just a few days ago.  I imagine there were countless other people ticked off enough to call and send messages to Target, as well.  My plan is to go back to the other Target that had them marked $24.39 and see if they are still that price.  It they are marked $11.99 or something close, I will know that the change is not a fluke.  If it is a pending change, it may take the stores that had them for $24.39 a minute to change the price.  I have no clue how the whole Target coding system works.  It just dawned on me, doesn't the Attorney General in each state handle price gouging issues?  I will continue my research to see if the people were again able to affect a change.  If the answer is no, I will continue my work to bring attention to the matter.  Keep your eyes open in your respective areas.  [You see what we were able to temporarily do about those pending bank fees.  Power to the people!]


How fitting that Grace is in a pnk and green outfit.  This is the reason I bought another Grace doll.  Her mom, Camille Langford is a soror in the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority and these are their colors.  The Marisa doll will be named Faith, because she looks just like Faith Evans to me.  Especially when you look at her on the back of the box.

14 comments:

  1. Cool! I'm eyeing Faith for the cute outfit. And it's just wrong to have a Puerto Rican husband and nary a Latina in my collection! (Except the recent Star doll that I made into a Columbian)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa they are beautiful. Waiting to see them in your storylines! Have a great day...
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vita Plastica - I had to read your comment a couple of times. I thought you said "it's wrong to have a Puerto Rican husband marry a Latina in my collection". ROFL. I was thinking, "I have no idea what she is talking about". Now I get it. The word was NARY, not MARRY. Those Latina dolls have been hard to come by unless you know of some and haven't shared.

    Loretta - Thanks. Grace in the pink and green is already a character in my story. I am famous for replacing heads, instead of combing hair to give dolls a differnt look. I don't know how Faith will enter the scene, but she is definitely a welcome addition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I hope they come to my area. I don't know how I am going to work this. I am no doll/doll stuff for the month of January (except for paying for Wu membership).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Georgia Girl - I hope they are the right price when they show up in your area. I had Wu membership on the list, but reconsidered. I was going to experience it this year for the first time. I really like the Poppy they are offering, too. But I decided this would be cause for me to spend more money throughout the year. I'm not interested in adding any more tall FR dolls to the group. I wouldn't mind more guys though. But I think I will stick to building action figures for now. It's much better on my wallet than the FR dolls. Now if I get some unexpected money before the 18th, I will be signing up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope I find them for the right price too. I may pick up Marisa, not too sure about the others. I have to make sure I have a body for her in my vast body arsenal..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dollz4Moi - The only reason I got Grace was that cute little dress. Of course I will use her head too, to switch her look. I haven't deboxed Marisa yet, so I don't know what body will work for her. I'm sure I have something her too. I have an extra 2.5 Basic body that will probably be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got back from today's outing and at my Target they had the SIS dolls at 11.98. But I wanted Marisa, but she was not there. One of the workers told me to try back next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome, Vanessa! The day you posted about the SIS price at Target, I got on the phone with Target's Corporate Customer Relations Department. I pulled up Black Doll Collecting's post with the letter from Mattel and read the letter to the relations rep. I'm sure they were already forwarded the letter but I thought I'd add my two cents, LOL. She had me on the phone for 40min searching their site for the dolls with this price. Even though, I haven't seen them in my Target yet, I gave her the states of those who have seen them at their local Target. I really couldn't tell if at the end of my call anything would be done but I felt better just being one number to affect the change. I hope to see the dolls next week as I will search a couple of Target stores. Marissa is the only one on my list but I will buy Grace (and maybe Darren) for my little one.

    Way to go Vanessa! Change can definitely happen when enough people stand up and ask for it. ;)

    Oh, let us know if Marissa will match Artsy/Nikki for body swappin.'

    ReplyDelete
  11. Frannie - That is so awesome. I am doing my happy dance. I love when people can affect a change. Good luck getting Marisa.

    Tracy - You go girl! I know that customer relations person was like "who is this woman?!" I will check the Marisa body tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad the price appears to be dropping on these dolls in your area and in others. But more than that, I am thrilled so many people got on board with calls, emails, and letters to Mattel and/or Target to effect this change. If we had not voiced our displeasure, the $24.38+ price would still be in effect; consumers and collector who felt the "gotta have it now at any cost" need would be forced to pay more.

    There is power in numbers: Our collective efforts prove that when consumers take a stand against price gouging or when people take a stand against any kind of discrepancy, inconsistency, or injustice, positive change will result.

    Thanks to all who spoke up and demanded the change!

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  14. DBG - Thanks so much for provided the email to Mattel to get the ball rolling and all your subsequent effort and activities.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your comments. Posts older than 5 days will require moderation until I can get the scammers under control. Thanks for your understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...