Thursday, January 26, 2012

Darius with New Sweaters and A Tip for the Non-Sewer

I finally got a chance to make Darius a few new sweaters, made from socks, of course.  Now I need to make him some new pants.  Nikki came along to make sure you guys didn't get out of hand.  These sweaters and this couple may show up in a video real soon.


The first sweater is a nice cable knit sweater with ribbed collar and sleeves.

Sweater #2 is made from the same material, but it is a sweater vest.
Sweater #3 is charcoal gray with beige grid lines and a high collar.  It is a vest type as well, meant to be worn with a short or long sleeve shirt.
"Honey, put away the guns." (Nikki)
"Oh now you want me to put them away.  You weren't saying that last night.:" (Darius)
"Why are you telling all my business.(Nikki)
"I hate to break it to you, but they already know you got business. (Darius)

This is sweater #3 again with a shirt and the collar turned down.

A couple weeks ago there was a 50% off notions sale, so I decided to test out a couple new products.  Liquid Stitch is used to provide stitching without sewing.  It's primarily used for appliques, home decor, hems and trims.  I tested it on a couple of the sweaters for the armholes for the vest.  I also tested it on the collar for sweater #1.  All in all I think it is a really good product.  I think with some practice a non-sewer could do wonders with this product.  It is washable, so the stitching is permanent.  One thing I didn't like about this product was that is didn't dry as clear as I would have liked.  So when usuing it for porous fabrics, it has to be used sparingly.  It's a little pricey at more than $6 per bottle, but worth it if you can catch it on sale.  I personally still prefer sewing the garments on my machine, so I will save this product for when I make some clothes for the infants.

Sobo is another fabric glue, but it is not washable.  So if you are making a doll garment that you intend to wash, this is not the product to use.  I tested this on sleeve hems and collars.  I really like this product because it dries a lot clearer than Liquid Stitch.  What I didn't like is the product packaging.  As soon as I opened the glue, the top fell off and glue was everywhere.  It is a fast flowing glue and there is a tendency towards waste.  At $6 a bottle that is not good. 

For all you sewers out there, my tip to you for sewing small garments is to use Stabilizer.  Another product that is found in the notions aisle.  It keeps the small garments from falling through the holes in the machine.  Also helps to keep the stitching straight.  It is pretty pricey these days.  I bought mine years ago for half of what it is selling for today, but it lasts a LONG time.  You may only have to buy it once in your lifetime.
Posted by Picasa

24 comments:

  1. I think the sweater and vests look good. I am a fan of using glue for different projects. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Male Doll World - Thanks. There are so many glues out there. It is hard to know which one is best for each project. What they are charging for glue these days can get real comical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sweaters on Darius. I haven't attempted to sew anything yet but I will keep in my about the liquid stitch. I have clothes I want to try and make for my frat twins so this will be good to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that first sweater! It's fantastic!

    I use api's Crafter's Pick The Ultimate! (I get mine at Michael's (although I liked it so much I ordered a case of it from their website) It's billed as being the only non-toxic super glue. It has a nice thick tacky glue-like consistency and dries clear and flexible. It's water based but dries water resistant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brini - Thanks. It may take a couple of tries to master the glue technique, but it's definitely doable.

    Disarmywife - Thanks. I'm sure people will appreciate that tip. I've used that one years ago, but it didn't stand out to me at that time. It may be different now. When you use it on fabrics, is it still soft? I never tried that one for fabrics before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fell in love with it the first time I used it. I actually use it to seal the edges of my fabrics instead of Fray-chek, because YES it does stay soft and flexible! It's the only glue I will use with fabric...now I'll be honest I've never tried to use it in place of sewing, but hmmm it might work. Although since I prefer sewing as well I wouldn't use it on something that got stressed like clothing, but I'll have to try it on a pillow or something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Disarmywife - That is good to know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are all very nice. I've used Liquid Stitch before. I prefer Stitch Witchery, but I would imagine the Liquid Stitch works better on knit or sweater fabric.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello from Spain: Darius must be happy with all the new clothes he has. I love sweaters and vest that you made for him. For people like me do not know what a good idea to sew the fabric glue. I have to buy it. Thanks for the instructions. I love the room where Darius an Nikki appears. I look forward Darius stories debuting new clothes. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debbie - Thanks!

    DBG - I have some stitch witchery around here somewhere. Haven't seen it over 10 yrs. That's a good product, too.

    Marta - Thanks. He is waiting patiently for new pants. He is very happy with his new sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The sweaters look great! Thanks for the information on the Liquid Stitch. Maybe it will be something I will try in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a lot of good sweaters and I love the colors and how it looks on Darius

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I love the sweaters! Did you use sox or just material you already had around? I'm definitely going to give it a try because I could use some turtle necks for some of my action guys. :)

    Great tip Vanessa!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Frannie - Thanks! You've gotten so creative lately, I would love to see what you come up with.

    jessicaj250 - Thanks! Darius loves new clothes. These will be perfect for the office.

    Tracy - Yes they are all made from socks. I did a post on 12/27 that shows a YouTube video of how to do a man's sock sweater. I also did a few creative things for Danielle. Once you get started, you can get real creative with just one little pair of socks.
    http://vansdolltreasures.blogspot.com/2011/12/rod-got-new-sweater-but-danielle-got.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the sweater and vests. Thanks for tips. I have considered Liquid Stitch. Fabri-Tac is one that I use most often and I absolutely love. It is clear, dries quick, but it tends to be a little hard (the mended area).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Georgia Girl - Thanks. Fabri-Tac is nice. I hate that I never seem to be able to use the full bottle without it getting all sticky and unusable. Another great product, just not enough in that little bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the sweaters, tanks for the tips...i will look if they sell it here in the Netherlands. I always used tacky glue for my dollshouse fabrics,it dries clear but never tryed to wash them.
    Hugs
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the review of different fabric glues. What is the stabilizer you refer to at the end? Is it a glue?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maria - Thanks! You're welcome. I'm anxious to see what your new blog brings.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great sweaters, they're perfect!!! I wonder if I could use those textile glues...

    ReplyDelete
  21. limbe dolls - Stabilizer is a paper like product on a roll. It's a cross between wax paper and tissue paper. I meant to take a picture, but forgot. You put pieces of it under the seam that you are sewing and it makes sewing the small items a lot easier.'

    Rosetti - Thanks! I say give it a try. You never know what you may create.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very nice clothes. He look stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey It's Muff - Thanks you know he has a reputation to uphold. We must keep him stylish. Although I can't wait to make him some nice 'dress down' clothes. I'm sure he will rock those, too.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your comments. Posts older than 5 days will require moderation until I can get the scammers under control. Thanks for your understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...